Cathedral of St. Stephen
Set in a grassy open space in the City’s heart, the Cathedral of St. Stephen demonstrates a skilful modernisation (1989) of a 19th century neo-Gothic building.
The first church in Queensland (1850), now Saint Stephen’s Chapel, adjoins the Cathedral and was refurbished in 1999.
Striking and sometimes controversial works of sculpture in bronze and wood were commissioned from Brisbane artist, John Elliott.
The Carrara marble baptismal font and sculpture is by Melbourne artist, Peter Schipperheyn, as are the Cathedra (Bishop’s Chair), Ambo and Altar. Lawrence Daws painted Stations of the Cross for private meditation.
The fine collection of nineteenth century stained glass came from Germany, France, Ireland and England.