- Masonic Memorial Centre Freemasons Queensland, Ann Street, Brisbane City QLD, Australia
- Due to extensive restoration work, tours of the Ann Street Masonic Memorial Centre are currently unavailable.
- 3229 3533
Masonic Memorial Centre
With its foundation stone laid on Anzac Day, 25 April, 1928, and built from local materials, the Freemasons Ann Street Memorial Centre is the headquarters of the craft in Queensland and a masonic memorial to those who gave their lives in the World Wars.
Features of Masonic Memorial Centre:
- Urn of Remembrance: The building is dedicated to Freemasons who gave their lives in World War 1 and the urn is a war memorial used on ANZAC Day.
- Grand Hall: An incredible space used by Freemasons for their ceremonies. It features furniture created on site made of Queensland timbers, symbolic decor and gold-leaf embellishments. The hall underwent a renovation in the late 1900s.
- Choir loft and organ: The magnificent organ is the fifth largest in Queensland and the choir loft caters for 32 choristers
- The clock: Made in the 1890s, the clock was originally used in the Alice Street Temple, which was the Masonic meeting place until 1930. The wooden housing was carved from a single tree trunk of northern silky oak.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to extensive restoration work, tours of the Ann Street Masonic Memorial Centre are currently unavailable.
Freemasons follow a centuries-old tradition that started with the guilds of stonemasons in medieval times and evolved into an influential organisation that welcomed a broader membership in the 1700s in England.
Many famous men through history have been Freemasons – from Mozart to Winston Churchill, from Benjamin Franklin to Peter Sellers, from Isaac Newton to Oscar Wilde, from Joseph Banks to Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple).
In Australia, Robert Menzies, Donald Bradman, Charles Kingsford Smith and Weary Dunlop are just a few names from the long list of notable Freemasons.
Freemasonry is an international movement with over six million members worldwide but it works very much within the local community.